Saturday, March 12, 2011

Guest Post Repeat - Button Bracelet Tutorial


I was super excited last Tuesday to be guest posting (my first time ever!) at My World - Made By Hand! Just in case you missed it, here's the tutorial I shared!

First, gather your materials!


You will need:
  • Assorted buttons in coordinating colours (one or two colours works well)
  • A length of tiger-tail wire or other thread, approximately double the length of your wrist width
  • Coordinating ribbon (not pictured - sorry! I used plain black ribbon)
  • 2 Crimps
  • Sticky Tape
  • Scissors
  • Pliers
  • Candle and lighter (also not pictured)

What to do:

Thread your first button on. A nice big one is a good choice!


Turn it over and tape it to the tiger-tail. This is just temporary and makes sure it doesn't slip off the tiger-tail while you add the rest of your buttons.


Thread on your second button.


Pull the thread firmly. Notice how we threaded the cord through the rightmost hole of the green button and the leftmost hole of the pink one? We'll keep doing this, because that's how we get them to overlap but not be right on top of each other! 


Thread the tiger-tail through the other hole in the pink button, then in the left hole of a new button. Thread the tiger-tail behind the new button and back to the front through the other hole. 


Continue threading your buttons in this way until you have a long enough bracelet to fit around your wrist!


You'll notice that you have a top layer and a bottom layer of buttons!

OK, now we're going to turn our strip of buttons into a bracelet.

Slide a crimp onto the end of your tiger-tail then loop the end around and push it through the crimp as well. If you want to attach a chain, thread a jump ring on before you push the end through the crimp (pictured below). We're going to finish the bracelet using ribbon, so leave the jump ring off.


Make the loop as close to the back of the last button as you can (pictured below) then use your pliers to press the crimp tight. Make another loop at the other end of your button strip.


We're going to use ribbon to tie off the bracelet, so cut two lengths of your ribbon. Use a candle to melt the ends of your ribbon pieces to stop them from fraying.


Tie your ribbons to the loops at each end of your button strip.


Tie the ribbons together in a pretty bow and you're done!


Thanks for having me as a guest poster Jessica! I had a lot of fun!


10 comments:

Ricki Treleaven said...

Rissa, this bracelet is so cute! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Lesley said...

I have these lovely little buttons that I've been wanting to do something special with. Now I have a project for them. Thanks girl!

malia said...

So cute! Hello! I'm your newest follower via Design it Chic. Would love for you to consider following me back. Thanks!
Malia
www.yesterdayontuesday.com

Anonymous said...

Adorable! That is just the kind of bracelet I need to make for my great-nieces (they're my youngest son's ages). I'm making scarves now. But those are so cute!

Anonymous said...

That is really adorable, and I like that you could get lots of different looks by switching out the buttons. Thanks for linking up!

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Thank you so much for all the fabulous comments! It's incredibly encouraging! I'm off to check all of your blogs out now :D

Unknown said...

So simple & cute! I invite you to link your fun idea to my blog bash K.I.S.S. Happy to be a new follower too. :)

Drop by The Tattered Tag

April said...

Like those colors together-so pretty!

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Thanks so much! :D It's one of my favourite colour combos ^_^

Terry said...

Great tutorial - especially for those of us who have trouble doing anything with needle and thread! Super cute bracelet!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, they make my day! Please let me know what you think or any ideas you have for me, I would love to hear them!

Before you comment - are you a 'no-reply' blogger? If you are, I can't email a reply to your comment! I really would love to be able to! If you want to change this, go to your dashboard, click "Edit Profile", tick "show my email address" and save!

I'd really love to be able to email you back! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...